Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Big news on 2006-2007 Season from Greg!

A ha! I guessed right about why The Light in the Piazza had a connection to next season, although not actually for the reason Greg was thinking. I went for the obvious, but bcause he is much more of a theatre scholar, he was thinking of an even more obscure connection.

But here, I'll let him tell you:

"Because it is now "official," I can give you the full story on the opening show of our next (2006-07, our 14th!) season. Klea Blackhurst will be coming back to star in Do I Hear a Waltz? for us, opening in July. Of course, we're thrilled that Klea is going to be with us again, and in such a very different (from Red Hot and Blue!) show.

As to how Light in the Piazza is pertinent to Waltz, there is the surface resemblance, certainly -- Piazza set in Florence in the 1950s, Waltz set in Venice in the 1960s. It's certainly possible to see a certain vague similarity -- both musically and dramatically -- in the way the shows tell their very different stories.
"

[Editor's note: yes, thanks Greg, I certainly am "surface" and "vague" ;)]

"What's really interesting, though, is that [Piazza composer] Adam Guettel's mother was pregnant with him during the period that his grandfather, Richard Rodgers, was creating Do I Hear a Waltz?. (Waltz opened on Broadway shortly after Guettel was born). More than one article on Adam Guettel has commented on this fact, and Guettel himself notes that it is an intriguing thought: 'There are those who theorize that music heard neo-natally penetrates the womb, but I'll leave this discussion to the theoreticians.'

In any event, if I were forced at gunpoint to choose a favorite -- just one! -- among the nearly eighty shows we've done so far, Do I Hear a Waltz? would probably be it; I know it's one of Stephanie's favorites as well. It will be eight years since we did it originally, and we felt the time was right to bring it back in an all-new production, especially with such a luminous guest star leading the cast.

As for the rest of our 06-07 season -- more to come! There is likely to be one other repeat from long ago (my second all-time favorite show!) and a couple of what we like to call "wild card" choices, shows that are really unexpected, even from us.
"

Intrigued? I am. But how exciting to know that Klea, who got such rave reviews this month (including from me) is already signed on for next year!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?