Tuesday, November 16, 2004

1930s-era Liberal Intellectual Elitism

Seeing this show so soon after the election gives it an interesting context. I'm a good liberal myself (me and 90% of San Francisco, so it seems.)

And there's been lots of talk since 11/3 about liberal intellectual elitism...that liberals are too prone to consider those who disagree with them as intellectually inferior. Of course, on the other side there's lots of talk about conservative moral superiority...that conservatives are too prone to consider those who disagree with them as morally inferior. [Link]

I was totally reminded of this current analysis in the opening scene of "Hooray For What!", when such intellectual elitism is on full display...to the point of complaining about "hoosier halfwits."

I say this as a good liberal, mind you.

And maybe before this election (and its results) I wouldn't have given those lines a second thought, but they certainly struck me now.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?