Saturday, February 12, 2005

Encores! "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"

42nd St. Moon did "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" back in 1998. It was while we were still performing at the New Conservatory Theatre, and it was the last time I performed on stage for the Moon. (Ironically, it was also the last time that Carla Befera, 42nd St. Moon publicist trod the Moon boards on stage as well!)

Anyway, Carla was Cissy (the Shirley Booth role), I was Hildy, and Moon regular Susan Powers was Katie. Lianne Marie Dobbs played Frankie, so every time I see her play such grown-up roles as Anne in TheatreWorks' "Little Night Music" or numerous others...it's still gives me a mental hiccup. Of course, she was already in college when we did the show, but sometimes I remember show details better than life details.

Now Encores! in NYC is doing "Tree." This production is of special note to me because it had impact on us here in the Bay Area. I bought tickets to see Broadway couple Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley in concert up at the Marin JCC tomorrow, and now it is only going to be Marin because Jason is playing the ne'er-do-well Johnny Nolan in the Encores! production.

The NY Times gently glowing review is here.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?